The Obama foundation scholars program is an opportunity for young individuals around the world to explore the city of Chicago while engaging in a non-degree granting program in the University of Columbia. It is a fully funded scholarship opportunity.
ABOUT THE SCHOLARSHIP
The Obama Foundation Scholars Program is a full-time program, running for the duration of the academic year from August through May. Scholars participate in an immersive program that brings together academic, skills-based, and experiential learning, designed by Columbia University in consultation with the Obama Foundation. A cornerstone of the program includes a required course, which will run for the length of the academic year. Scholars will also have an opportunity to select and enroll in additional courses offered by Columbia University that are relevant to their specific field or values-based leadership, or that fill in gaps in their previous studies. Scholars will also participate in workshops to develop practical skills to enhance the impact of their work. Previous workshop topics include conflict management and resolution, public speaking, data analysis and interpretation, and resilience. The program also takes advantage of the unique opportunities that come with being at one of the world’s most important centers of research and with being in the City of New York. Throughout the year, Scholars will have opportunities to engage with thought leaders and practitioners from the public, private, and nonprofit sectors.
In addition to participating in the Columbia University-led elements of the program, Scholars are expected to engage in a unique set of activities led by the Obama Foundation in New York City, Chicago, and possibly other U.S. locations. Scholars will also have the opportunity to lend their experience and expertise to Obama Foundation programs focused on training the next generation of leaders. Scholars will work with the Obama Foundation to tailor an action plan to remain engaged with the Foundation upon their return to their home countries or regions.
This is not a degree-granting program. Obama Foundation Scholars who complete the Columbia University program will receive a certificate of completion from the Obama Foundation Scholars Program at Columbia University.
SESSION OF ENTRY
LEVEL OF STUDY
The program is appropriate for individuals from a variety of educational backgrounds
Scholar Benefits Covered by the Program
- Monthly stipend to assist with living expenses in New York City
- A furnished studio apartment within walking distance of Columbia University
- All tuition and fees for up to four courses at Columbia University
- Basic medical, dental and life insurance for the duration of the program
- Air travel to and from home country and any program-related activities
The Obama Foundation Scholars Program at Columbia University seeks rising leaders from around the world who meet the following criteria:
- Have a proven commitment to service and leadership within a community, region or country outside the United States, coupled with a demonstrated commitment to return to these communities following their completion of the program and apply their enhanced training, skills and connections on a long-term basis for the benefit of these communities
- Are emerging leaders who have made meaningful contributions to their field and are now at a “tipping point” in their careers
- Are fluent in English (verbal, written and spoken)
- Have the ability and inclination to positively shape the future of their community
- Have a demonstrated commitment to humility, integrity, inclusivity, stewardship, fearlessness, imagination and teamwork
December 13, 2019
Interested applicants must complete and submit an application through the Obama Foundation Scholars Program online application system. Applications will be reviewed by a selection committee.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR APPLICATION
The application process is entirely online. the documents to be submitted along with the application form includes:
- Resume/curriculum vitae
- Personal video statement
- Responses to short essay questions
- Proof of English proficiency
- Complete online application form
- Three recommendation letters
Visit the official scholarship website for more on the Obama Foundation Scholars Program 2020/2021Share