• This topic is empty.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

study2japa
      Keymaster

korean-scholarships-2020

The days of the year keeps increasing and it is around this time that the fully funded Korean Government Scholarship program to undertake graduate and undergraduate degrees in South Korea opens. Having applied twice, I feel it is important I share my experience to guide other applicants to make the best out of their applications. I must warn you, this is a long read so sit back, be patient and enjoy.

What is KGSP | GKS

The Korean Government Scholarship program knew as Global Korea Scholarship is a fully-funded scholarship program funded by the South Korean Government, enabling international students the opportunities to conduct advanced studies in undergraduate & graduate programs at higher educational institutions in the Republic of Korea in order to promote international exchanges in education and mutual friendship between countries.

The Korean government scholarship program (kgsp) is sponsored and coordinated by the National Institute for International Education Department of the South Korean Government.

Benefits of Studying In Korea

South Korea is ranked among the best ten countries for education with notable programs and world-class research and teaching facilities. It is home to some of the world’s technology and industrial giants and offers interested individuals the chance to undertake advance studies among their prestigious universities. In addition, South Korea is the world’s number one tourist destination and offers students with a mixture of world-class education and tourist and cultural attractions that provides a balanced educational experience for everyone.

Benefits of Korean Government Scholarship

The scholarship program is fully funded and takes care of the cost of your education, provides you with a monthly allowance depending on your study program, airfare, settlement or relocation allowance, medical fee, books, research cost and many other benefits.

In addition, it is an opportunity to gain international experience and also build relationships, network and join a pool of successful scholars who have benefited from these scholarship programs. Depending on your choice of program, each amount varies and below is a detailed breakdown;

• Airfare:
        • Economy class from the applicant’s home country to South Korea. Upon completion, the applicant also receives a return ticket allowance to return back to the applicant’s home country.
      • Settlement Allowance:
        • KRW 200,000 paid once upon being selected for the scholarship
      • Monthly Stipend:
        • KRW 800,000 per month for undergraduate and 900, 000 per month for graduate students.
      • Medical Insurance:
        • KRW 20,000 paid monthly to cover all medical costs.
      • Language Cost:
        • KRW 800,000 per quarter. Each applicant without Korean Language Proficiency is mandated to learn Korean and the cost of learning is covered by the government.
      • Tuition Fee: 
        • Maximum of KRW 5 million per semester but in a situation where the tuition exceeds this amount, the host institution covers the remaining cost.
      • Award for Excellent Korean Language Proficiency:
        • KRW 100,000 awarded to applicants who can show proof of sufficient Korean language proficiency in level 5 or 6 on TOPIK
      • Research Support:
        • Liberal Arts and Social Science Degrees: KRW 210,000 and Science, Technology and Engineering Degrees: 240, 000 per semester
      • Printing Costs (Dissertation):
        • All printing cost would be reimbursed by NIIED. Liberal Arts and Social Science: KRW 500,000 and Science, Technology and Engineering Degrees: 800,000
      • Completion Grant: 
        • KRW 100,000 paid once to scholars who decide to return to their home country after completion of study in South Korea.

Total Number of scholarships to be awarded is 170 persons for undergraduate courses and
      700 persons for graduate courses.

Checkout Yale University Scholarship

Required Documents

1. One original or notarized or apostilled  copy of certificates and 3 other photocopies
      2. Completed Application form
      3. NIIED pledge
      4. Personal Statement
        How to write a killer personal statement
      5. Study plan
      6. Two recommendation letters
      7. A self medical assessment form
      8. Certificate of higher degree for a graduate program or highschool certificate for undergraduate program
      9. Transcripts
      10. Proof of citizenship e.g. passport, birth certificate
      11. Certificate of Korean proficiency if available
      12. Proof of awards if available
      13. Proof of English proficiency if available

Note: Each application package must be kept in separate envelops. One envelope for original or notarized copies and a total of three separate envelops for photocopies.

Eligibility Requirements

International students applying for the Korean Government Scholarship must meet the following requirements:

• Both an applicant and his/her parents must be citizens of their country of origin.
      • Applicants should not hold Korean citizenship.
      • Also, applicants should have adequate health, both mentally and physically, to stay in a foreign country for a long time.
      • Applicants should also be under 25 years of age at the date of entrance for Undergraduates
      • or under 40 years of age at the date of entrance for Graduates
      • Must have finished or be scheduled to finish formal education of all elementary, middle, high school courses by the date of arrival. (Undergraduate)
      • Possess a grade point average (G.P.A.) above 80% from the last educational institution attended.
      • Applicants must also hold a Bachelor’s degree or a Master’s degree by the date of arrival for graduates.
      • Applicants who have previously achieved in any undergraduate program, master’s program, or doctoral program in Korea cannot apply for this program.

However, a former or current KGSP scholar who holds the overall grade of 90% or above can reapply to this program once either through the embassy or university track.

Eligible countries

The scholarships are open to students from the following countries:
      China, Japan, Russia, Cambodia, Mongolia, Vietnam, Mexico, India, Indonesia, Thailand, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Kazakhstan, Myanmar, Chinese Taipei, Uzbekistan, Turkey, USA, Ethiopia, Colombia, Nepal, Senegal, Bangladesh, Ukraine, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Morocco, Azerbaijan, El Salvador, Egypt, Tanzania, Germany, France, Dominica, Chile, Iran, Canada, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Kyrgyzstan, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Pakistan, Gabon, Romania, Belarus, Bulgaria.

Slovakia, United Kingdom, Czech, Guatemala, Ecuador, Algeria, Yemen, Uganda, Belize, Honduras, Italy, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, Poland, Ghana, Georgia, Greece, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Nigeria, Republic of South Africa, Netherlands, Nicaragua, Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste, Rwanda, Libya, Lithuania, Moldavia, Bahrain, Barbados, Bahamas, Venezuela, Bolivia, Burkina Faso, Brazil, Brunei, Serbia, Seychelles, Sudan, Sweden, Slovenia, Armenia, Argentina, Haïti, Ireland, Afghanistan, Angola, Oman, Austria, Uruguay, Iraq, Israel, Zambia, Cameroon, Qatar, Kenya, Costa Rica, Cote d’Ivoire, Croatia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Panama, Paraguay, Papua New Guinea, Peru, Fiji, Hungary, Australia, Jordan

How to Apply for KGSP 2020

Application to the global Korea scholarship program is in two tracks. Application through embassy track and application through university track.

Embassy Track

• Application documents are sent to the Korean embassy in your home country. Please ensure you check your country embassy’s website for application deadline.
      • Embassy conducts screening and interview and selects candidates
      • Candidates who are pass are nominated to NIIED who conduct separate interviews with university track applicants
      • If the applicant passes NIIED selection process, applicant’s documents are sent to the applicant’s chosen universities for admission process.
      • Once the applicant gets admitted to one of the 3 chosen universities, the applicant is confirmed to be a beneficiary of the scholarship.

The benefit of embassy track is that you have the option of selecting three universities whereas in university track, you can only apply to one university.

University Track

• Application document is sent to chosen universities
        Use this tool to search for eligible universities
      • University conducts interviews and forwards nominated applicants to NIIED
      • NIIED conducts the selection process with embassy track applicants
      • Selected applicants are contacted and visa and document processing commences

Note: Ensure you make proper research on your chosen universities, it is possible to get NIIED nomination and no universities nominate you. In that instance, your nomination would be rescinded and you lose the scholarship.

Duration of the Korean Government Scholarship

• 1-year Korean language + 2-year degree making a total of 3 years for an associate degree.
      • 1-year Korean language + 4-year degree making a total of 5 years for a bachelor’s degree.
      • 1year Korean language + 2-year degree making a total of 3 years for a master’s degree.
      • 1-year Korean language + 3-year degree making a total of 4 years for a PhD degree.

Deadline

• February – March 2020 
        • Graduate application period.
      • September – October 2020
        • Undergraduate application period.

Have you applied for Erasmus Mundus Scholarship

My advice and experience

I applied twice to the Korean Government Scholarship through the university track. In my first application, I applied to the university of Konkuk where I got through the university selection process but unfortunately our documents (those of us who got nominated), our documents weren’t sent to NIIED, apparently, it was a pattern with the university as they did the same thing the previous year. When we mailed them about what happened, the response was that coordinator of KGSP for the university had an operation and wasn’t available to forward our documents. It was a really tough one to swallow. There was no interview process with the university, the university reviewed our documents and chose 10 of us.

The second time, I applied to Chonanmn university through the university track. I submitted additional documents like awards, bomb ass recommendation letters from two prestigious professors in Nigeria, proof of proficiency in English and all other documents. I was really confident of this with my world-class written statement of purpose and study plan. It was to be my year. I had a phone interview with two professors in the department. They both loved my application package and one was interested in accepting me as part of his research students. You can’t imagine the joy I felt. Unfortunately, I wasn’t part of the people nominated by the university and I mailed the coordinator, her feedback was that I scored high marks with four candidates from Nigeria and so the university decided to nominate four of them because they were PhD applicants.

It was a really lovely experience, to be honest, and I got to network and meet people from different parts of the world and Nigerians too.

Advice and conclusion

Please join facebook, if for nothing but for KGSP. Join the groups on facebook as this is your number one door to getting all the help and answers you need. Also research the university you want to apply to, ask your co-applicants, search the facebook group for the name of the school and read people’s experience. If I did that in my first attempt at the scholarship, I would have discovered that Konkuk did the same thing the previous year and the information was available on the facebook group chat.

Reach out to other Nigerians, believe me, everyone wants to Japa, and most Nigerians I have met with this goal have this in mind and so they are naturally helpful.

Decide fast on if you are applying through university track or embassy track. Depending on your country, the embassy track can make you or mar you.

Prepare an excellent statement of purpose and study plan, let people help you proofread or better still use our free essay reviewing tool.

In addition, use Microsofts screen reader function to see how your essay sounds out loud. If you feel you might not be excellent at writing your essays, hire us to write for you by sending us a mail [email protected] with the details of the essay. We would respond with a quotation and necessary things required.

Contact your professors or recommenders on time. This could really delay you. I personally had to travel across 6 states to ensure I get it on time. You should also apply for your transcript on time especially if you attended a public university. Notarize all your photocopied documents like birth certificate, degree certificates et.c. This can be done at a federal high court.

Lastly, you should pray not just because of the scholarship, but generally, you should be a prayerful person.

That’s all about my experience applying for KGSP, I have really applied for a gazillion of scholarships o, lol mad oo, but I am happy my experience has and will continue to help people to achieve their dreams of Japa-ing. If you have any question, please ask in the comment section. I also plead that you share this with your friends, enemies, and anyone you know that needs information like this. That’s the 414 about KGSP, wish you all the best. 

Viewing 0 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.