The Beijing Government Scholarship is an offer from the Beijing government for international students. It provides full or partial tuition fee. The aim of the scholarship is to attract more foreign students to study in Beijing so as to promote the internationalization of Beijing’s higher education.
ABOUT THE SCHOLARSHIP
The Beijing Government Scholarship (BGS) was established by Beijing Municipal Government, aiming to provide tuition fees fully or partially to the international students studying or applying for studying in Beijing. Its administrative office is the International Cooperation and Exchange Office of Beijing Municipal Commission of Educations, which is in charge of project establishment, review, acceptance and daily management of the Beijing Government Scholarship Program.
The Beijing Municipal Government has established a scholarship fund for foreign students and scholars in Beijing, the first of its kind to be offered by a city government in China.
The initial fund of the scholarship is 35 million yuan (US$5 million) from the Beijing Municipal Education Commission. The scholarship is classified into three categories with the highest at 40,000 yuan (US$5,700) for each recipient.
The aim of the scholarship is to attract more foreign students to study in Beijing so as to promote the internationalization of Beijing’s higher education.
SESSION OF ENTRY
LEVEL OF STUDY
This scholarship is open to applicants across all level of study
CATEGORY OF APPLICANTS
- Applicants for Bachelor, Masters and Doctoral Degrees in Chinese universities and colleges in Beijing region: duration of scholarship should be under 4 years.
- Applicants for Chinese language training or relevant advanced studies in Chinese universities and colleges in the Beijing region: the duration of scholarship should be under one year.
- Scholars and international students for specialized training in Chinese universities and colleges in Beijing region: the duration of scholarship should be under one year.
- Exchange students or students with outstanding contributions to international education in Beijing: the duration of scholarship should be under one year.
The scholarship is available in some institutions in China. See the list of host institutions here
WHAT THE SCHOLARSHIP OFFERS
The scholarship covers tuition fees only, and it falls into the following five categories:
- Doctoral student scholarship: 40,000 RMB/person/year.
- Master student scholarship: 30,000 RMB/person/year.
- Undergraduate student scholarship: 20,000 RMB/person/year.
- Senior scholars and long term language student scholarship: 10,000 RMB/person/year
- Scholarship for exchange student (long-term or credit transferrable students) and student who make special contributions to international exchange and cooperation in the capital area: 5,000 RMB/person/year.
- Applicants should be non-Chinese citizens and be in good health.
- Applicants for doctoral degree programs must have a master’s degree and be under the age of 40.
- Applicants for master’s degree programs must have a bachelor’s degree and be under the age of 35.
- Applicants for undergraduate program must have senior high school diploma with good academic performance and be under the age of 30.
- Applicants for general scholar program must have bachelor’s degree or completed at least two years of undergraduate studies and be under the age of 50.
- Applicants for long term language studies must have senior high school diploma and be under the age of 60.
- Applicants for senior scholar program must have master’s degree or above or hold academic title of associate professor or above and be under the age of 50.
- Applicants should meet the language requirements of the higher education institutions.
- Applicants should not be awardees of Chinese government scholarships at the same time.
HOW TO APPLY
Individuals interested in the Beijing Government International Scholarship are to apply directly to the universities qualified to issue such scholarship or submit application documents as stated below
- Applicants submit documents to the Chinese government office in charge of sending international students to China, relevant offices in the applicants’ home country, or the Chinese diplomatic missions or embassies in the applicants’ home country.
- Applicants may register via the web with the Beijing Education Commission
- Applicants may submit documents to Chinese institutions in Beijing directly.
- All application materials should be handed to the relevant university or college before the end of February.
- Application documents must be completed in English or Chinese
The institutions of higher education in Beijing will review all the application materials and the application materials of qualified applicants for the scholarship will be forwarded to the Beijing Government Scholarship for International Students to make a further review. The institutions will send the Scholarship Letter, the Admission Notice and Visa Application Form for Study in China to the applicants who will be officially confirmed as Scholarship students three months before the opening of new academic year.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR APPLICATION
The applicants must fill in and submit the following documents truly, correctly and completely:
- Application Form for Beijing Government Scholarship (Applicants shall obtain the form from the Higher Education Institutions or download the form from the website of the targeted HEIs).
- Notarized highest diploma and transcripts.
- Foreigner Physical Examination Form should be provided if the duration of study is six months or above.
- Study plan (no less than 400 words) or research plan (no less than 800 words) in Chinese or English should be submitted for degree or research students.
- Applicants for music and art are requested to submit the applicants’ own works according to the requirements of the target HEIs.
- Applicants under 18 should provide legal documents of their legal guardians in China.
- Please note that application documents will NOT be returned.
Visit the official website for more information on this scholarship